Selling your house is something you’ll have to do maybe just a few times in your life. And unless you know a local Hawaii licensed real estate agent who will sell your house for free or a hugely discounted commission, it can be a tiresome and expensive process to see it through to the end.
So you landed on this page about “How to sell your house by yourself in Hawaii Hawaii” because of a few reasons I’m guessing…
- You have no or very little equity in your house so you can’t afford to pay a typical real estate agent’s commission
- You have equity but want to try to save money selling the house yourself before you choose to hire an agent instead
- You’re in foreclosure (or heading in that path) and need to sell quickly without incurring thousands in agent commissions
- You can’t wait the months and months it can sometimes takes to sell a house in the Hawaii area
Whichever of the above applies (or other reasons entirely) there are ways to sell your house yourself here in the local Hawaii real estate market.
Since 2013, the housing sector has been experiencing a major recovery. Selling your house now could be very profitable if you do it properly. In most cases, it is about using effective marketing strategies and being realistic about your sale expectations.
This article will give you some tips to help you sell your Hawaii area house yourself.
How To Sell Your House By Yourself In Hawaii Hawaii – Let’s Dive In
Know The Hawaii Real Estate Market Thoroughly
The first and most important step is researching your neighborhood in Hawaii Hawaii. This involves visiting various real estate sites (Zillow, Eppraisal the Chase home value estimator, etc), calling a licensed real estate agent or two to see what your home is worth, or reading about the different market pricing techniques. Proper research on these issues will help you come up with a right selling price for your house and also helps you to avoid making certain selling mistakes all too common of people who rush into the situation.
If you don’t want the headache of trying to come up with your home’s value yourself, give us a call today at 808-377-4379 and we’ll give you a valuation of what your house is worth on the retail market (if you’re going to wait the 3-6+ months to find the perfect retail buyer). And if you want to, we can also make you a quick, fair all-cash offer on your Oahu house to give you that option of selling quickly (we can close in as little as 20 days if you want to!).
Assess the market
This step is almost similar to conducting market research, only that in this case, you are only looking at your neighborhood and similar houses. This is what we call ‘running comps’, which is essentially comparing apples to apples. Are there lots of houses for sale in your neighborhood? If so, what is the average that they are listing for? Are they the same style? Are there lots of foreclosures in your neighborhood? That may drag your house price down.
Asses the house
As a seller, your house should be in very good if not excellent condition in order to sell at a healthy price. Pick out certain unique characteristics about your home and emphasize them in your marketing. For example, in a Hawaii a house with a lanai is usually more attractive to buyers compared with one with limited outdoor appeal.
Also, does your house require repairs? Does it need a new paint job? How is the condition and age of the roof? Is the landscaping attractive? Does he house appear modern compared to other homes in the neighborhood? All of these items affect its desirability to home buyers and, ultimately, what they may be willing to offer for your house.
Analyzing the above items will help you come up with a fair asking price, one that is in line with current market values in your neighborhood. Be careful not to ask for the moon or you may watch your house sit unsold for months on end, even in a hot market like Hawaii.
Use Photos or Videos
Hawaii buyers are obsessed with media. Taking walk-through videos of the house and using the videos to advertise will enable you to reach a wider market. In fact, these videos are considered more transparent than taking photos. However, this should not stop you from using the latter option since it is more affordable compared to the video.
So take some great pictures. Take a picture of every room in the house that helps show it off. Take a picture of the house from the outside in a few different angles… people want to see the house before they ever show up to see it. So having great pictures of your house online could be the difference between getting the right buyer quickly… and waiting months and months to sell.
Get Your House “Listed” On The Local Hawaii MLS And Market It
You can find no or low fee real estate brokers these days who will charge you a few hundred bucks to put your house on the local Hawaii MLS. This gets your house in front of all of the real estate agents quickly (so be prepared to pay those “buyers” agents a 2-3% buyers broker fee if you plan to have their support in helping you find a buyer.
Place ads in the local newspaper, signs on the roads, and hold an open house.
All Of This Sound Like A Lot Of Work To Sell Your Hawaii House Fast Yourself?
It can be.
And in the end, many Hawaii house sellers think they’re saving money and time by marketing the house themselves… when in the end it costs them more money to go that route.
When you sell your own house here are some things you need to consider…
- If you’re not a good marketer or aren’t ready to spend a bunch of time marketing your house right… selling it yourself may not be your best bet
- If you don’t do a good job preparing the house and the marketing materials… and working with buyers to really build the value of your house in their minds… you may actually sell the house for 3-8% less than you may get for the same house an experienced person marketed the house for you
- Too many sellers never think about holding costs or opportunity costs… every month that your house doesn’t sell means another mortgage payment, tax payment, insurance, utilities, etc. If your mortgage payment is $1,500/mo… and $1,300 of that is interest… if it takes you 7 months to sell your house… that cost you an extra $9,100 (not to mention taxes and insurance you paid during that time). So, if you were able to sell that house more quickly… would it make sense for you to provide a buyer a discounted price today so you can close quickly and move on? Something to think about.
If you’d rather not deal with the hassle of trying to sell your Hawaii house yourself and would rather just sell it fast for a fair price without paying any commissions or fees…
… here at Oahu Home Buyers we actually buy local Hawaii Hawaii houses.
We’d love to make you a fair, NO OBLIGATION and NO HASSLE cash offer on your house.
We can close quickly (in as little as 20 days if you wanted to)… which would save you thousands of dollars vs. trying to sell the house yourself and waiting for months.
Also, when we buy local Hawaii houses we do all repairs that are needed (we pay for it ourselves) so you don’t have to worry about that.
If you want to see what we can pay for your house, give us a call today at 808-377-4379 or just fill out the quick simple form through the link below.